Let’s face it, first dates are filled with anxiety and awkwardness. It’s akin to going for a job interview and trying to convince the person that you’re the man for the job. A major reason first dates suck is because of where you choose to go on your first date. If you choose a dud of an environment, you’re sure to have a dud of a first date. You know, filled with awkward pauses, sweaty hands and staring up at the ceiling. Take your date somewhere unexpected and create a bonding experience that’ll leave her excited for a second date. And no, I’m not talking about getting on that Pokemon GO date grind.
Check out my three picks for date ideas that don’t suck. Guys, take notes 😉 .
Ghost Hunting/Haunted Houses 👻
A spin on the old ‘take your date to a scary movie’ trick, ghost hunting is a perfect first date to get her adrenaline going and spark some attraction. Check out your local paranormal activity groups and book a spooky ghost hunt or buy a ticket for a haunted house for an experience your date won’t forget. I know that I would love to get scared shitless on a date. Seeing your date scream really shows you another side to that person and helps you loosen up.
Why It Works
- When we get spooked, our bodies pump out the same chemicals that we feel during arousal. This causes a feeling of euphoria that your date will associate with the time she spent with you.
- According to Dr. Viren Swami, author of “The Psychology of Attraction,” putting our dates in spooky scenarios increases our perceived attractiveness.
Urban Scavenger Hunt 👏
Scavenger hunts give you and your date a chance to experience the city in a new way. Working together as you make your way through the city solving clues and completing challenges in an Amazing Race-style scavenger hunt.
Why It Works
- Working together in a collaborative effort increases bonding and endears people to one another.
- You have the opportunity to display your leadership skills. Women find men who take charge more attractive.
- Problem solving activities show you how the two of you resolve conflicts, which gives insight into how well you’ll get along in the long run.
Murder Mystery Weekend 💀
When you want an extended first date with someone you really like, take her on a murder mystery weekend. This involves going to a mansion or resort where you’ll spend a memorable weekend trying to solve a murder. You and your date become detectives as you follow clues, interview witnesses and try to figure out “who done it.” Bonus: Murder Mystery Weekends are usually set on a beautiful backdrop where you can also partake in activities such as horseback riding, swimming and mini golf.
Why It Works
- Mystery is sexy. Spending an entire weekend full of mystery entertainment will get her endorphins flowing.
- You’ll spend more time with her than a typical date, which is the perfect way to increase intimacy, and gives you more time to get to know one another.
What have been some of your most interesting first dates? Let us know below!